Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wondering


Yesterday you insisted that I carry you, so I put you on my back and we got a few things done. As I was sweeping the floor with an extra 20 lbs on my back, I couldn't help but think of your past. It was a somber time. Did your mother carry you often? I'm guessing so, especially for the first year of your life. I kept picturing you in your hut on your dear mothers back as she swept the floor. Or did she sweep the dirt floor? I am sure she kept the place tidy. And did you own animals? I will attempt to do a drawing of your house, because I picture it in my head often. I picture a small grass hut tucked into a hillside. I see you barefoot, and bare bottomed running with your two little friends down the road dodging donkeys and cows. I long to see what that life was like. I was told it was harder than I could imagine, so I guess I'll just keep imagining.

As I type you are sitting with Owen, and you are a fourth of his size. You are softly talking to him and petting his soft ears. Earlier you even sat on him. I think he is one of your favorite "living creatures" as you say his name twenty times a day and want to show me where he is. He is such a good dog, and I think he's growing fond of you too. You also say "Ababa-yeh" 19.5 times a day. This morning we looked at a photo album and you did not want to turn the page from Ababa-yeh's picture. You kept kissing it. We both love it when he walks in the door each evening.

(Another Photo of African mother with child taken by Beth Mercer in Pokot Kenya)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails