Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

DRC Adoption: What's Next

Photo from Agency's facebook page.
Michael and I have had many conversations lately about the logistics of this next adoption, and it seems crazy and right at the same time. To be honest, it seems less crazy than right for both of us. Tegegne too, he now asks me about his "brother and sister" (we have no idea if it will be that combination) that we are adopting and when they are coming. Today he said, "Mommy, I think my brother is going to be a baby but then he will be big. And we will be crazy together!" Then Mike (17 yr old Mike) chimed in and said, "See Kristyn, I told you this is gonna be more than you can handle!"


Here's what we've done so far. Found an agency that we hope to proceed with. A few of their fees are higher than the others, but they do in-country foster care which really helps the children's health and well-being. In foster care they are seen by a doctor and social worker monthly, get medicines, nourishment, and love.  Way, way, way better than the orphanages we've seen photos of. Also a much smoother transition for them.


I've joined the congo yahoo group, which is over a hundred families that have, are, or will be adopting from the DRC. Lots of emails, but a wealth of information. This website (kidsincongo.com) is new by an adopting mom and will be a great resource for families.


Going to send in the application this week and take a deep breath. It's most overwhelming because of the cost. If I'm in the worry state, it feels like a heavy weight champion is pinning me in the ring, saying "Are you crazy lady? You don't have the money for this." If I trust God, I get teeny butterflies in my stomach, and I gently try to see if God's up for telling me how this will play out." I mean, I don't even think I mentioned that we already got an anonymous $500 cashiers check in the mail. (Dear God, bless that person(s) more than they imagined and let them know we are forever grateful for their gift.) It was a sure sign that we should proceed asap.


In the mean time I'm praying for our daily bread...(and Michael's baking it!)


Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, 
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.


Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, 
as we forgive those who trespass against us. 
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For yours is the Kingdom and the Power, and the Glory forever and ever. Amen. 

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing when God provides sign posts to remind us he is in control and we are following his will. So excited to hear about this journey and excited the fundraising has begun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you familiar with the Ordinary Hero waiting child list? They sometimes feature kids from the DRC there. Here's the link: http://ordinaryhero.org/Ordinary_Hero/Waiting_Children.html You'll have to email for the password.

    I'm looking forward to following your adoption journey again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy I found your page. I think we're adopting through the same agency. We're just starting our home study visits. Such a wonderful experience so far! Blessings to you as you begin your next adoption journey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails