Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Our House: Making Progress


So here we are. Photos of our house-in-progress. Before and after shots would help, I know. So would a wide angled lens camera. Anywho, our main staircase above. It was carpeted and we were quite pleased to find this underneath. Tegegne was surprisingly good at pulling the staples out with pliers. Not Handy Manny tools...they were the real deal! The window on the landing is light pink leaded glass. Blurry in the photo, but it's pretty. We have about 3250 square feet here, and often my mind races with all of the projects we'd like to do. Good thing Michael is such an enthusiast! 



Here's the family room with Michael's record collection. My mom found this sweet chair and ottoman at an auction. Most likely at one of my dad's auction's. A while back I got a phone call from my dad saying, "Hey Kristyn, are you into Eames furniture?...Um, yes dad. I totally LOVE that style." Since that conversation he keeps his eye out for all things modern.  It's quite the deal!




We opened up the butler's staircase and cut some random holes through to the kitchen. It has been so fun to peek our heads through to each other. There are five openings. I foresee that as us needing to have one more child (Lord willing, we will adopt again in a few years!) to get a peep-hole family photo. For now Owen get's a square (He really does peak his head through and it's so funny).



A view through a peep-hole to the kitchen. Exposing the brick walls (aka removing messy plaster) was Michael's project today. We were excited to find the arched detail above the window. I've always wanted exposed brick and here it is! That means that each exterior wall of our house has this same brick. I think there will be more "exposing" down the road!




This was taken in our second floor laundry room. Don't you love our "ericfon"? Ironically, my brother "Eric" is the little guy in the photo hanging from the oversized clothes pin. Our giraffe is from Ethiopia. Oh, and this is my toolbox. Michael borrows from it all the time, but I let him. 



And this is how we communicate ideas. I draw them up in 3D. I did this type of thing at work, (but with better rendering capability!) and it's so fun to do it on our own projects. 


Our peep-holes with one little peeper. 






Our back porch is home to most of our kitchen belongings until we get cabinets underway.

Michael has three more weeks until school starts. A friend just stopped by and we were discussing a major project that we are considering. Tearing out the bathroom and two walls that divide the kitchen and family room on the first floor. Opening this up would make the house awesome for hanging out, hosting, and just living. (Kitchen is currently11'x12') It would be way more open and lofty-urban feeling. Exciting. Okay, I think it's a go. Michael's renting a dumpster and will get started right after his bike ride in the morning! 





1 comment:

  1. so, so wonderful! i am dying to visit!! i'm in kc labor day weekend for a wedding! perhaps jake and i could stop by!?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails