Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Meeting Birth Mom

Dear Tegegne,

Your dad and I just had a very exciting few days visiting your homeland! We both have so many thoughts that we could write a short book, but for now we will tell you some highlights. (I also only have 29 minutes of computer battery, until we find someone with a charger that works...so I'll make the best attempt to summarize something that deserSodo, Ethiopia is beautiful and the journey there was absolutely crazy.

We got to meet your mother, Tegegne. Met with her at the orphanage in Sodo. It was amazing. She is wonderful, beautiful, caring, and dear to our hearts. I recognized her because we had a prior photo of when she stopped by the TH after passing court. We pulled in the orphanage, Michael said..."There she is Kristyn". We stepped out of the van and approached her. I hugged her and she kissed me many times. I showed her my necklace of you and she kissed it several times. Then she kissed Michael and hugged him. We will remember those embraces forever.

We then had a meal together and talked with her via two translators. English to Amharic to Weyletian and back again. She asked us some questions, then we asked her a few. We learned that you are her only child, as is she. We learned that your grandparents names are Dana Kofu and Almaz Turro. We learned that your two best friends in your village were Atakiliete (a girl) and Ashenafi (a boy). We learned that you live about 3 hours outside of Sodo walking. You and your mother lived with her fathers sister, your Aunt.

Your mother is twenty years old and smaller than me. We learned that your mother makes injera and sells it in the nearest market. When we asked what a typical day was like for the two of you she said it was too hard to describe. We learned that you have had malaria twice, but she took you to get medicine. We learned that life was really hard for the two of you and that your mother gave you her all. She said that she gives us full authority to be your parents and has an ambitious heart. I saw the peace in her eyes. She asked that you become an educated man. She was happy that your dad is a teacher. We told her that we will love you with all that we have. She believes that. This was not translated, but I told her that I would give you a kiss on her behalf every single day. And that I will gladly do. She has a photo album with pictures of you. And I think she will kiss your picture every day.

I only cried when we read her the letter we wrote to her, so Michael finished the letter. And I'm crying now. And I only have 4 minutes. Our hearts are at peace, and we are ready to meet you tomorrow. Holy cow.

Mom and Dad

5 comments:

  1. Well, now I'm crying, too! Enjoy your most amazing day tomorrow! In Christ, the Howletts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is Gina Root's mother in Texas. It is 9:30p.m. Sunday night there in Addis. Have you heard from them? Are they close to returning into Addis right now? If you post, I will see it. Thank you. Praying for all of you precious ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristyn-God's hand is SO mighty, isn't it?
    We are praying for you, for little T, for this new chapter.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristyn, I am so happy that the meeting went well. I feel like tomorrow is Christmas!! yahoo!! AND PRAISE OUR MIGHTY GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so moving that I couldn't hold my tears in..I love you both and wish you a lifetime of happiness with your son. You guys are gonna be amazing parents. I can't wait to meet lil T. XOXO. STV

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails